<$BlogRSDUrl$>
I am the alpha and the omega
 
November 03, 2004
Culshaw's First Principle of Recorded Sound
Anything, no matter how bad, will sound good if played back at a very high level for a short time.

There was this one day in the Fall, when the entire nation of USA, excepting two states, goes back one hour. This is the concept called the Daylight saving time.

Simply because, the people want more time during the day (to work longer), instead of getting up earlier and earlier, they decided simply that they would change the time.
Twice a year.
And cause hassle for all the rest of us who aren't accustomed to the Fall Back, Spring Ahead as it is often called here.

So one fine day, I wave up, with a vague idea that there should have been daylight saving time change today. And I see my mobile to get the time, and I find out that that shift hasnt occured (I checked with my alarm clock, which doesnt have such sophisticated features). So I continued during the day.
Deciding to go to the lab on such a pleasant day, I looked up the bus schedule, to find the timings, and started off. And to my surprise, it didnt come. Even after 20 minutes.
I was flabbergasted. Usually the buses are never more than 5-10 minutes late, unless the drivers get lost (which happens quite a few times here).
And when it did come, to my surprise, the time there was one hour behind.

And it was then that I realized that that day was supposed to be when I did a daylight saving. A few minutes spent fiddling in my mobile revealed that I had not enabled daylight saving in it, resulting in me reading the "wrong" time.

With this incident, I started wondering more on why have the daylight saving. Was it so that the new daytime - 6am to 9pm, would have more hours of daylight.
Actually, it seemed not so. For, when evening 6:30 pm approached, the normally brite day was the darkest ever. And it was not because of any cloud cover. So I didnt see any purpose being served. Or was it so that people can sleep for one extra hour that previous nite. (But, it doesn't make sense, as they would sleep one hour lesser during spring Fall ahead anyway.

The more wierd thing is actually when this daylight saving actually occurs. At 1:59 am of the last Sunday of the month of October, they shift back the time to 1 am.
Why in God's name would anybody want to anybody ever want to change time at the godforsaken time of close to am.
Seriously, do they expect people to wake up at 2 am, shift back all the clocks to 1 am.. and then go back to sleep.

These people are crazy, not to mention the other silly stuff that we do often - switches are pushed up to turn on, turn the key the wrong side to open the door, open the taps clockwise to turn the faucet on, use plugs without switches.
There are a thousand other things that I can think of, but this post was about the daylight saving thingie, and I end with that.

Have a nice day, without daylight

Posted by satosphere at 1:31 AM

 

Whats hot
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from satosphere. Make your own badge here.
Interrupt Me
Mail Me
Status on Yahoo Messenger

Friends
WTF Dude
Vidya
Twin Gemini
Suzy Q
SS
Sirpy
Sidharth
Shobha
Saumya
Reiya
Ravages
Rash
Nish
Nirenjan
Netrikkan
Neha
Lazy Geek
Lakshmi
Krithika
Kiruba
K7
Jag
Divya
Blythe Spyryt
Devilish Angel
Anand
Alpha

SlashDot
Google Blog
Sepia Mutiny
Flickr Blog

Indian Bloggers
IITian Community blog


Google Ads


Google Search
Google

Stats



Great Links
Google Search
F.R.I.E.N.D.s
Garfield
Unreal Tournament
Winamp
Digital Blasphemy
Old Home Page

Archives
August 2003
September 2003
October 2003
November 2003
December 2003
January 2004
February 2004
March 2004
April 2004
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
January 2006


Google Ads


Thanx to
Blogger

Credits
Image: Epiphany Stock
Design:
Blogfrocks
Ranking: TTLB Ecosystem
Images @ Photobucket
 
  Image Copyright © Epiphany Stock
Webset Copyright © Blogfrocks
Best viewed in Firefox at 1024 x 768 resolution.
This site is a member of The Indian Bloggers Ring.