<$BlogRSDUrl$>
I am the alpha and the omega
 
September 28, 2005
Freeman's Rule
Nothing is so simple that it cannot be misunderstood.

Sea World


Ever since I watched the first dolphins and whales performing on the Discovery Channel, I had always wanted to see them for real, with my own eyes. I wanted to touch the dolphins, feel the splash of the orcas, dance with the flamingoes and talk with the sea lions.

Opportunity knocked on my door when I got a chance to visit Sea World at San Antonio. Twice.

A few highlights. Since not everything can be highlighted. I am splitting it into two parts - the animal displays and the three main shows.

  • The dolphin pool: A huge pool where dolphins swim by, and during feeding time, you feed them fishes and they return the favor by allowing you to touch them. The experience, well, is one of a kind.


    One of the bottle-nosed dolphins there, ready to get more food. It is insatiable.


    For a fee (two fishes), the dolphins will even perform acrobatics for you (Jus' kidding).

  • The aviary: This sea world has an aviary full of colorful lorikeets (mainly red and rainbow). (What are lorikeets?) And again, during feeding time, they let you into the cage with a small cup of nectar which these delightful birds relish. And if you are patient and lucky enough (both are essential components), one of them will get attracted towards you and starts sipping the nectar. If conditions are really auspicious, two of them will start fighting for it, as in my case.

     
    Click on the images to go to my Flickr pages.


    The red lorikeet was actually on the shoulder of the lady in front. And it jumped onto my arm. After having its fill, it migrated to my shoulder and vociferously started whispering sweet nothings into my ear for about a couple of minutes. (Man, are they loud.)
    It was quite difficult taking this photographs, as I had the camera in one hand, and a bird in the other, and I had no idea what I was shooting. I did try a shot of the lorikeet sitting on my shoulder, but I ended up focusing somewhere else.
    Among the rainbow lorikeets (which refused to get onto my hand), the one in the front started fighting with the other one for my nectar. It also tried to grab that small cup; the resulting tug-o-war that ensued caused my cup to get crushed and all the nectar spilling away.

  • The flamingo pool: This is where the tall walking ladies reside, mostly elegant pink flamingoes, some scarlet ibises, a few mallards and some ducks.


    The grandeurness of the adult pink flamingo (the greater flamingo). The slightly grey one in the is still a young one.


  • The sea lion pool: Adjoining the theatre for the sea lion show, there is this huge pool where a lot of types of sea lions. And during feeding times, they CAN shout. Some really attract the best attention by splashing water with their flippers. Others just bellow. It is quite an interesting experience, though.


    A couple of the more demure sea lions pose for me at the tank.


To be continued....

Posted by satosphere at 6:35 PM

 

Whats hot
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from satosphere. Make your own badge here.
Interrupt Me
Mail Me
Status on Yahoo Messenger

Friends
WTF Dude
Vidya
Twin Gemini
Suzy Q
SS
Sirpy
Sidharth
Shobha
Saumya
Reiya
Ravages
Rash
Nish
Nirenjan
Netrikkan
Neha
Lazy Geek
Lakshmi
Krithika
Kiruba
K7
Jag
Divya
Blythe Spyryt
Devilish Angel
Anand
Alpha

SlashDot
Google Blog
Sepia Mutiny
Flickr Blog

Indian Bloggers
IITian Community blog


Google Ads


Google Search
Google

Stats



Great Links
Google Search
F.R.I.E.N.D.s
Garfield
Unreal Tournament
Winamp
Digital Blasphemy
Old Home Page

Archives
August 2003
September 2003
October 2003
November 2003
December 2003
January 2004
February 2004
March 2004
April 2004
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
January 2006


Google Ads


Thanx to
Blogger

Credits
Image: Epiphany Stock
Design:
Blogfrocks
Ranking: TTLB Ecosystem
Images @ Photobucket
 
  Image Copyright © Epiphany Stock
Webset Copyright © Blogfrocks
Best viewed in Firefox at 1024 x 768 resolution.
This site is a member of The Indian Bloggers Ring.